Licensing & Alcohol in Ireland
Compliance with licensing law in Ireland requires a knowledge of what is often a complex combination of legislative Acts, Statutory Instruments and regulations, many concerning more than the sale of alcohol itself.
At M.P. Moloney we identify the areas of applicable law that are not available to clients reviewing matters themselves. We have the experience to anticipate problems or priorities that should be addressed in advance of investing capital into any project. The financial benefit to any business is significant where the hidden costs can be identified and quantified at the outset.
We have acted in numerous licensing and alcohol matters and in the sale of food and drink all over Ireland. A summary of the matters we have acted in is as follows:
- Advising, acquiring, transfer and sale of Seven Day Ordinary On Licences for pubs
- Music, singing and dancing licenses for bars, public houses and night clubs
- Monthly late night Exemptions for pubs and clubs
- Late night Extensions for registered members clubs
- Wine Retailers on Licence for restaurants
- Restaurant Certificates for restaurants, bars and public houses authorising the sale of food and beer
Special Restaurant Certificates
- Retailers off Licences for wine, beer an spirits
- Extensions and variations of licensed areas in pubs and clubs
- Bonded warehousing for wholesale retail of alcohol
- Renewals, complaints and prosecutions.
- Festivals licensing and bar agreements.
In Ireland alcohol licenses are renewed every year, in September/October. Every renewing party needs a valid Tax Clearance Certificate from the Irish Revenue Commissioners confirming that its tax affairs are up to date. Many renewals involve a Court application. Each application is individual and some are complex in terms of the documents that will be required. A failure to prepare and file the required documents in time for the annual application will result in delay in the renewal of the licence in question and will impact on your business. We advise and assist with all types of licensing renewal.
All business must by law have a licence to sell alcohol in Ireland. Operating without a proper licence may result in prosecution for breach by the Authorities. This may further impair that business securing an appropriate licence after such prosecution.
Certain other business activities also require a licence e.g. sale of cigarettes and tobacco related products. Auctioneer firms, Estate Agents or Lettings Management Agencies were always subject to the grant and renewal of a licence and are regulated by the Property Services Regulatory Authority of Ireland.
From the outset of your plans to start, acquire or invest in any business you should meet with us to discuss your project. We will advise on your licensing requirements and best strategy. We can help you ensure your monthly and annual licensing obligations are correctly looked after.
The best financial plan always involves proper advice and consultation. You can rely on our expertise and experience. We agree the costs before we undertake work on your behalf so there are no surprises.